Friday, May 01, 2015

On A Time of Choosing and Grieving

A time for choosing sides seems fast approaching.  This grieves me.

Gone - or rapidly dwindling - are the days when one could have a set of opinions or beliefs and have others that have different sets of beliefs or opinions and still get along, mostly because while you knew that each of you had the differences - and perhaps sometimes you would discuss them - there was an underlying respect of the other person and the allowance for them to have that different set of opinions or beliefs.

 But that is an another time, rapidly dwindling in the distance as a city dwindles in the desert plains until it suddenly disappears as a blot in the distance.

You know my rule - no politics, only my own religious struggles.  Yet I find myself remaining increasingly silent and increasingly uneasy as the tone of conversation changes.  Ideological purity become more valued than the value of relationship; plurality of opinions means not some much a true plurality but rather a subset of views which are deemed to be acceptable.

It grieves me.  It grieves me for the friends that will eventually disappear, for the relationships that will disappear into the wind, for the sadness and unrest that it will bring - perhaps not socially but in the souls of ourselves and others.

It grieves me but I can see it coming, like one can feel the Cold Fronts of New Home moving in, bringing the rain and wind with them - it is never a question of if, but when.

I am a man of peace, of quiet thought and civility and a retiring nature.  What looms before me - indeed, before us - makes me inexplicable sad to the promise of tears.

One hesitates to call anything the End, but the strident march of discord cries louder and louder, drowning out the subtle tones that weave a society together.

I grieve.


2 comments:

  1. Think of it as more nature taking back what is her's. The differences that you see separating us are not conditions we should be dealing with. Human society is not designed to deal with and pay for the things we are being forced to today by the liberal/Feminist social engineers. It was never meant to be that people like yourself or me should be ruled by the opinions of hose who live 1000 miles away but the current environment forces that on us and many more social aberrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothers me Preppy is that we are losing the ability to talk about these sorts of things at all with anything resembling civility or an effort to understand. We have reached a stage where things are presented as fact and anyone who disagrees or questions is considered any number of unfortunate names which only serve to shut down conversation, not establish discussion or truth.

    I have friends on so many different aisles of so many different issues that I sometimes feel like Da Derga's Hostel, with eight doors facing eight directions open for all to come and go. My fear is that these doors will either soon stand empty or be nailed over by differences that.

    The Polity on ever side and in every way is being destroyed. It grieves me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!