Monday, September 01, 2014

Quail!



The quail have come.

Technically these are a birthday present for Nighean Dhonn; she has some at her school and decided she wanted some of her own.  However, they coincide with my own goal of greater independence at any level.

They are a mix:  4 Texas A&M Coturnix quil and 2 Straight Coturnix Quail.  They are somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks old at this stage:  old enough to be away from the brooder but not fully feathered out yet.  From everything that I read, they reach the beginnings of maturity and egg laying starting at 6 weeks.

I am excited.  We cannot keep chickens where we currently live but quail should be small enough to escape the notice and annoyance of everyone:  they are quiet, they are small, and their caging can be low to the ground.

I still have a few things to work out, like ultimate living arrangements (I have an idea, but I need to get some cover going) so they are ensconced in a cardboard box where we can hear them talking to each other.

This is going to be good - and fun.

Welcome Quail!

2 comments:

  1. Sort of a mini stealth chicken experiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is me Preppy: the Urban Shadow Poultry Warrior!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!