Thursday, July 10, 2014

On Autos and Grumbling

Frustrating return.

We got in at 0135 on Tuesday night. By the time we arrived at the car it was 0200.  Go to unlock the car and hit the unlock key for all doors - nothing.  Great.  Try to start the car - nary a click.

We call and get some help.  I am fortunate in that I carry jumper cables; I am less fortunate in remembering where they are (sort of a trick in the dark) but find them.  Hook them up to the transit bus and up it starts.  Wait for a few minutes, then say thanks and everyone gets in the car.  First thing I do: kill it.

Call the front again.  This time he brings a charger.  We wait for a few minutes, discussing the fact that the weather has been hard on batteries lately.  Finally, almost 40 minutes after we get to the car, we head out.  I am extra careful going home, always trying to coast through the lights and avoid having to restart.

Then yesterday morning I get a call from The Ravishing Mrs. TB.  "The van just died"  she said.  "The lights flickered and then everything just went out."  Fortunately it was less than a mile from home so I drove out.  Sure enough, the battery cable I had pulled off to replace the headlamp before we left was loose.  Got it back on and took it home, then re-cleaned the posts and re-tightened the battery while charging the other car battery.

And now this morning.  She goes out to the van and tries to start it.  Clicking.  Fortunately the battery in the other car is okay so she can take that.  I check the charge level - dead, according to what I have.  Start the charger again (fortunately I am still on vacation).

I want to look at the situation and look at the blessings:  that I am still off, that we can get by for a bit with one car, and that nothing serious has happened on the way to or from home.  I really do.  But what I find myself stuck with instead is that nasty sense of "Why us? Why now?"

I should be grateful.  Instead, I find myself grumbling.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feelings lol. It always seems to happen in clumps.

    Glad ya all made it back home safe though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Preppy. I wrote more about it today. My ungratefulness suprises even me.

    Vacation was good, but too short.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!