Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Wrong Place and Time

I am in the wrong time and place.

At heart I am a man of romance and heroism, a man of noble deeds and glorious causes (some of them lost).  I long for causes to lose myself in, evil to fight, great deeds of heroism and romance to accomplish. 

Instead I find myself in the role of a bureaucrat, a small man doing small things of little import and little lasting value beyond my stay at the particular place I happen to be.

Not surprisingly this creates a cognitive dissonance in my life.

I know, I know: make the problem statement and then resolve the problem.  Fine.  The problem statement is this:  I feel a calling to something that I simply cannot seem to live.  I want to live in a world of great deeds and heroes and romance.  I do not.

Okay, so how do I fix this?  Surely the world is not going to rearrange its time/space continuum to address my particular need, and my time travel/fabric of space bending powers are simply not what they used to be.  So that is not really going to work for me.

The next option,  I suppose, is to find a way to live in such a way that this is a possibility.  Again, this seems to be a little difficult.  Meetings cannot be resolved by whipping out my katana and battling my way to the door.  Evil bosses and opposing departments (not that they are really evil or opposing, I suppose) cannot be thrust aside against overwhelming odds, nor will throwing down my gauntlet get a document signed.

That leaves one option:  live as if you were this thing.

Live as if you were the thing you seek to be.  If I seek heroism and romance and glory, live as if this was the ordinary way life should be.  Be a hero in the smallest of things.  Be romantic in the largest of ways.  If something does not suggest itself as a quest, make it one. 

And never give up trying to find a way to make your life even more this way.  Because I firmly believe that even in this technologically advanced and seemingly socially disparate age, heroism as a way of life remains possible.  Great deeds of glory and romance are still possible - in fact, we still seem to crave them (look at the entertainment industry and tell me they do not understand this).  Most people just refuse to acknowledge this.

Be different.  Be a person of romance and glory and great deeds.

Be a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!